Search

Hard Top for 1969 Seaflite SS-179 Fair Condition

• Thread starter RanchCracker
  • Start date

352 Total Thread Views

R

RanchCracker

Reaction Score
Not to be confused with a Glastron Seaflite. This boat was manufactured by The Seaflite Corporation located in Utah. The company closed it's doors in 1978. Based on the limited information I've found online, Seaflite was oriented towards quality not economy. There's a few of these vintage boats mentioned in recent forum discussions here and there. It's apparent that compatible models exist, in good condition, or better. It's also apparent that not all of the boats are equipped with the removable hardtop. These are sharp little boats. The hardtop not only contributes to their handsome appearance, it literally puts a roof over your head. I can't imagine anyone owning one of these boats that lacks the hardtop who wouldn't be dying to get there hands on one. This boat is not an attractive restoration candidate. Aside from 20+ years of neglect leaving the interior ravaged, it has sustained moderate structural damage to the transom that's left the interior frame of the transom exposed to the elements for 2 decades. It's WAY over my head. It's got an outboard 1250 Merc in the back. It's all connected and does look bad, but it's obviously been neglected too. The craft is securely trailered and the trailer was proven roadworthy 2 days ago. There is, of course, no license plate because registration requires the existence of a title.

I know only a very short recent history of this boat. A very good friend picked it up at an auction, for next to nothing, when no one bid on it. His circumstances changed and the boat was exiled from his premises. I intervened and offered refuge in my back yard as he prepared to haul it to the landfill. This spared him from the shocking reality that the minimum charge of $38/linear foot, plus fees, equals an amount that far exceeds his expectation of paying a couple hundred bucks. (Like I said, he is a very good friend.) I was shocked when my wife approved the plan. I expected her to react as though I was seeking permission to move a 19-year-old pregnant girlfriend into our spare bedroom! My plan is as follows: Invest a minimal amount of time to reach the maximum feasible distance to advertise the existence and availability of this hardtop, as well as anything else someone indicates a need for. The hardtop shouldn't require shipping as freight. The existing Seaflites I saw were all in this general region of the country. If someone actually wants the whole kit and caboodle, they can come and haul it off. Fat chance there. I take what I can get for the Merc 1250. That will go towards offsetting the cost of a roll off dumpster of adequate size to accommodate 17 feet of boat-without the hardtop. With the boat gone, the trailer becomes viable. If it's not marketable as-is, it will become a welcome welding project. If I decide to keep the re-purposed version it will easily justify the expense of the roll-off.

I'll get a chance to take some less offensive photographs later today. For now, something is better than nothing. Please mention this post if you know someone who seeks this hardtop. I have no plans for price gouging. Scout's honor.

20231209_123044.jpg 2908.jpeg 2906.jpeg Screenshot 2023-12-12 152221.jpg

Condition
Used
Price
Best Offer
City
Denver Area
State
Colorado - CO
Zip Code
Last edited: